[Talk-ca] Announce: TrailHead Ontario with OSM

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 22:39:05 BST 2010

Hi everyone,
Patrick just let me know that at the TrailHead conference, june 21st -25th,
in Toronto, ON he reserved 45 mins, to talk about the OpenStreetMap
project.  Specifically how all trail users with can make use of OSM &
leverage it to make the best map possible.
http://trailheadontario.com/speakers/patrick-connor/

I'll be putting together a PowerPoint (set of PDF slides notes) showing an
easy guide to get from GPS tracks to making it show on the map, to how to
contact the community, with this talk-ca at openstreetmap.org discussion list &
direct web-interface connecting.   Since it needs to be easily understood by
everyone.  It will help if others create their own version & we can make
them all available on the wiki.
If anyone is planing on attending (it's way to spendy for me), please let
the list know :)  thanks.   (It would be great to have a free OSM-Workshop
the following week, somewhere in Toronto so more local mappers can attend &
perhaps some of the people from the conference might be interested to also
attend.)

So as you all know, im actively working on getting the trails mapped for all
over Ontario (with focus on getting the Trails data copied in (JOSM WMS link
http://xhema.flossk.org:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?service=WMS&version=1.1.1&request=GetMap&layers=Roads&srs=EPSG:4326&format=image/jpeg&map=/var/www/mapserver/ca_trails.map&
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Ontario  The source .osm
files list the attributes which needs to be added to the trails in OSM.  And
we'll need to make route relations and all that good stuff.

I predict that by June, we should see 'significant' improvement in the map.
:)

Cheers,
Sam

Twitter: @Acrosscanada