[Talk-ca] 092 area - OSM routable

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri May 7 09:55:31 BST 2010

So to perhaps lessen the load for lambartus,
I have created a Garmin MapSource routable map for the entire 092 area

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2iwh2zn42mj/OSM 092area
map.exe<http://www.mediafire.com/file/2iwh2zn42mj/OSM%20092area%20map.exe>

I have added the download script for anyone who might want to help make it
better

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vancouver_Island#Download_script

I still need to figure out how to download a polygon area, so it will only
get the specific travel area which is planned, so it's ok if the larger area
is a little out of date.  (As the Ibycus topo map would cover for it)

My aim is to make it that i can have a similar map to this one
http://xhema.flossk.org:8080/mapdata/04/ibycus/ibycusatlasmainmap.htm
Where the user can download the pre-made mapset for the OSM -routable tiles,
1 installer per NTS area. Where a little bat file
'GetLatestOSM-routable.bat' as the coordinates for each area, would be part
of each installer package.  My next weeks project :)

Is anyone able to help re-compile the Ibycus30 maps to make an installer for
each area? This would help map users to install a smaller area.
  (Im still struggling to get the GroundTruth/OSM contour made as an
installer.  I can have all the files ready and MapSetToolKit can install the
map onto MapSource so it works, but i want to have an installer for it, so
that step can be skipped.  I use 'inno Setup' for it.   (Note:  It is not
possible to make a routable-contour map, this is because cgpsmapper wont
allow it with the free version) ... i have not yet found a way around
that.   So using all 3 maps is probably the best way togo, to get the best
of each world.

P.S. Yes, i know the 092 area is missing 092H, 092i and 092p, i'll need to
fix that up later, as it will probably be included in the 082 area, since it
makes a bit more sense, as it covers the entire Trans Canada Highway through
BC.  (it's very hard to decide where the cut-off boundary should be...)
PPS Maybe i could also make update-installers for the major cities, and have
those available?  Any preferences?

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com