[Talk-ca] Lethbridge AB mappers

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sun May 9 17:12:23 BST 2010

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> First:  "Whoop Up Drive"?  Awesome!  Thank you for that smile.

Named after Fort Whoop Up... part of our rich western Canadian
history! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Whoop-Up

> And, could somebody visit this area? Looks like GeoBase was ahead of
> the aerial imagery.  It would be nice to have GPS tracks to
> corroborate.  Also some connectivity repairs are required.

GeoBase matches up with what Google and Yahoo street maps say,
although Google's newly added physical "detail" leaves much to be
desired. Google shows the ploughed fields to be riddled with sloughs
where both Google and Yahoo satellite imagery don't show such.

This is a really good spot to see just how the road matcher script
tries to keep from modifying existing ways in the database. The holes
in the GeoBase import match areas where the old Township Road 84
geometry ran. Using the transparent overlay capability provided at
Sauter.com makes it really interesting and easy to compare different
sources.

http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=15&lat=49.66927&lon=-112.90164&layers=B00000TFFFFF

James
VE6SRV