[Talk-ca] Status of openstreetmap.ca

Darryl Shpak darryl at shpak.ca
Mon May 10 17:40:16 BST 2010

Hi everyone,

A couple weeks ago there was some discussion surrounding the
Openstreetmap.ca domain. I'm here to clear things up :-)

I am the OSM user DShpak who owns and manages the domain. It has not
expired or been scooped up by anyone else - apparently when I renewed
it, the registrar (Domainsatcost.ca) changed something so the whois
information looks different. False alarm - the domain is still in good
shape. The email address I had linked to the domain (and my OSM account)
were out-of-date, so it took a while for me to see the various attempts
that people had made to contact me. My apologies.

I don't have any access to, or control over, the website contents;
that's all Jason Reid. Over the last couple days, though, I've been in
contact with a number of talk-ca members, and the net effect is:
- I will investigate what I can do to get multiple admins for the
domain, to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again.
- It looks like I'll be getting involved in OSM again, after a couple
years of inactivity. This is a good thing :)
- We are attempting to contact Jason Reid and figure out what the next
steps for the website are.

Anyway, I'm very glad to see how much interest and activity there is in
OSM in Canada -- it looks like things have picked up considerably from
the last time I was active. Here's hoping the end result is a better,
and better-managed, website!

- Darryl