[Talk-ca] Addressing in Canvec.osm

Tyler Gunn tyler at egunn.com
Wed May 12 14:31:24 BST 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 07:32:34 -0400, Bégin, Daniel
<Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hi Tyler,
> What distance did you use? I was to use 0.0001 degree (about 10 meters
in
> Halifax) for addressing in Canvec.osm.  What would you suggest?

I wasn't able to use any automatic adjustments since the StatsCan roads
are quite off in location and geometry from the actual roads.
I think that 10m is probably a reasonable amount; I think I averaged about
8m but I found it to be a bit too close.

I notice Sam beat me to it, but insetting the start and end of each
interpolation way the same amount from the start and end of the street is
probably a good idea.

For example:

                      2          12
Interpolation Way:    O-----------O
Street:            O=================O

This way at intersections all the numbers don't jumble on top of each
other.

> For all, concerning adderssing tags, I am going to use...
> interpolation line
> - addr:interpolation

The addr:interpolation can be set to even or odd based on the starting
house number; that's the approach I took.

> First/Last node of interpolation line
> - addr:housenumber
> - addr:street
> - addr:city
>
> This is what is described as required from the wiki, except for
addr:city
> that is optional.  I can remove it from the schema but I can't replace
it
> with anything else because this is all I can get from Canvec (and
obviously
> GeoBase) content.

That sounds reasonable.  I didn't include the addr:city tag in mine, but I
think its a good idea so I'll add in in as well.

Tyler

--
Tyler Gunn
tyler at egunn.com