[Talk-ca] Addressing in Canvec.osm

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed May 12 15:34:19 BST 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Victor Bielawski <bielawski1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Bégin, Daniel
> <Daniel.Begin at rncan-nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:
>> What distance did you use? I was to use 0.0001 degree (about 10 meters in Halifax) for addressing in Canvec.osm.  What would you suggest?
>
> Please please *please* use metres. Merkaartor has some code that
> generates address interpolation ways using degrees, and it results in
> the distance from streets depending on the street's orientation, and
> looks plain ugly in any projection apart from latlon.
>
> As for the distance itself, I'd prefer 14-17 metres for
> highway=tertiary and below, and 20-23 metres for highway=secondary and
> above, if such a distinction is possible. This is based on
> observations from Toronto and area; I don't know about other cities.

Thank you for those observations, Victor.

There was a project a while back to create these offset interpolation
ways automatically.  I don't recall the outcome, or the link, sadly.
There were demos including some interesting artifacts when faced with
short ways, acute angle and twisty ways.

Anybody recall that link?