[Talk-ca] Canadian_best_practices: bilingual

Thomas Cort linuxgeek at gmail.com
Thu May 13 11:11:06 BST 2010

> Bilingual maps...
> Thoughts?

I agree that something with a bilingual sign like "Promenade Wilkie
Drive" or "Parlement du Canada / Parliament of Canada" should be
tagged with name, name:en, and name:fr. However, I think that signs
which are in only one language should only have the name tag. The name
should correspond to what's on the sign. If the name rendered on the
map doesn't match what's on the sign it will cause confusion. If I'm
looking for "Portage Drive" and only see "Promenade du Portage" signs
I won't know if I'm on the right road.

-Thomas