[Talk-ca] Yukon Mapping Protected areas

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu May 13 13:24:37 BST 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Matt Wilkie <maphew at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cool, so i take that as confirmation we can use it for OSM.

Please don't presume that.  Please confirm it.

> Yes, the parks and protected area data is free and libre, as is all
> the gis data from Environment Yukon found on the website. (Please note
> that the Wildlife Key Areas does have it's own license agreement.)

"Free and libre" mean different things to different people, and OSM
uses a particularly strict interpretation in the interest of keeping
OSM "cleaner than clean" from a copyright point of view.

Please, please, please.  Collect the information, link to the license,
summarize the license problem areas, and then start a discussion on
legal-talk.

Just saying, "yeah, we're cool" without backup is risky.

The proliferation of homegrown licenses at municipalities is making it
very difficult to include that data in OSM.  The licenses interact
with each other like citrus and dairy in a single glass.  Fine in
isolation, but a complete mess when mixed.

Even if the person in charge grants you an "okay for use in OSM",
without a written agreement to relicense as CCBYSA, and in future
ODbL, risks the need to remove that data later.