[Talk-ca] Virtual "Across Canada Trails - Bike Mapping Across Canada"

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu May 27 00:39:10 BST 2010

Hi All,

Im now on day 003 of my "Virtual Bike Across Canada Trip"
I decided that what i would do is; in real-time, actually Map the entire
route & travel journal (complete with OSM Maps!)  for each day as i go
along.
The idea is that by the end of the summer (or fall, or whenever i virtually
get to Cape Spear Newfoundland) i will have every day maped out in detail.

Now that we have so much data available (and not yet imported) it wont be
that hard to map the details as i go along.
On my route, i am finding all of the trails that are not yet mapped on OSM.

So i am allowed to copy the trails (from other sources) ie. from GeoBC
(which i now have the detailed database of trails).  Although they wont go
to OSM, i can still listed these trails on bikemap.net (or wandermap.net)
so then others can actually navigate these trails, and in-turn, donate thier
tracks to OSM and update the map.

I started the trip on monday (Victoria Day Holiday)  and plan on "Virtually"
reaching Cape Spear by September 1st (Labour day)... although at the rate im
going, it might be longer :)

Anyway, the good news is that (with the help of User:Phurl) on the #osm-ca
IRC chat, i learned about Wikia   So i created a wiki website which is
dedicated to this whole project.  (the site is down today, but tomorrow it
should be back up)
http://acrosscanadatrails.wikia.com/wiki/Across_Canada_Trails_Wiki

You can see on my Posterous blog, that's where im posting the daily journal
& notes as well as Maps.
http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/day-003-ucluelet-to-port-alberni-route-detail

So if anyone wants to help map ahead of me, i have a list of things that can
be worked on, just let me know :)

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

P.S. for those of you who dont know,  Peter Freeman & his wife are going to
be cycling across Canada on a tandum bike.  So i will be listing the
standard "Bike Across Canada" (along alot of the Trans Canada Highway) *for
a road bicycle route details also.  So we do need to work on New Brunswick &
Nova Scotia, to get the main roads mapped.  As their is still gaps.   These
roads can be easily traced from Toporama WMS, and the maps updated before
they get their.

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails