[Talk-ca] Administrative boundary Data, Québec

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 01:25:33 GMT 2010

Oh ya,
and the reason for the stall on the import, was because we wanted to
'inject' the data into OSM in 1 swoop.

Because of the technical differences in ideas of 'what is OpenStreetMap?'
There is a difference, as this data is actually '1 giant web' of
relations, rather than the traditional approach of copying in 1 way at
a time.

For CommonMap, the approach is to inject it directly as there is not
an data to interfer with.  For OpenStreetMap however, there is a
challenge because it is available to everyone in real-time, and there
is no actual coordination efforts (besides this talk-ca list and the
#osm-ca IRC chat.)

So if the osm-ca community wants to have the data imported as
'Relations' so then there is 1 relation for each boundary, then it
requires a diffwrent approach.

However, if the osm-community is happy with having simple 'ways' that
have the admin_level=* etc. tags on it, then the approach is to simply
add in the ways, and manually edit & purge the relations.  ... or not
even use relations, and just use the 'boundary:right' options.

Thats the story
Have fun :)