[Talk-ca] Tagging of roads in Vancouver

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Oct 7 14:24:53 BST 2010

The big issue I'm having around New Westminster is that everything is tagged
residential, with the few streets that are tagged all being tagged as
secondary I've tagged some of the major residential collectors.
Some examples.

10th Ave (99A/1A) is tagged as secondary, the same as 10th Ave East, which
isn't part of the 99A/1A, and has two lanes and is of a quite different
character. These are both tagged the same as the Lougheed Highway in the
Burnaby/Coquitlam region, which is a 4-6 divided highway.

It seems like the only tanks in use are essentially secondary, motorway, and
residential.

To me it would make more sense if the major routes such as Lougheed,
Kingsway, 99A/1A, Granville, Oak, etc were primary, with routes like the
Lougheed where it is divided and the Mary Hill being tagged as Trunk or
Motorway since they are divided highways with very few intersections.