[Talk-ca] Sask road network

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 17 13:06:30 BST 2010

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Jamie Figursky wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I noticed that that the road network for Saskatchewan has gaps (Oxbow area
> and others).  Geobase has  a road network for Sask.  Any idea if there are
> any plans to update?

There are a few options the community can decide to take

1) I'm willing to do a bulk style import with roadmatcher in Sask similar to
what I did with Ontario and Alberta.  This would come with all the same
issues, ie no connections to existing roads require manual cleanup by
others.  (This seems to have fallen out of favour).

2) You (and others) can start grabbing Canvec tiles for Sask and uploading
them on a tile by tile basis (connecting the roads to existing ones as you
go)

According to (http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/nrn/status.html) there
are no road names or addresses available in GeoBase.  I don't know when/if
a update is planned.  If we decide to go with #1 I could try to automatch
the StatsCan road names to the GeoBase geometries like I did in Ontario.

Steve