[Talk-ca] Importing CanVec

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 02:49:29 BST 2010

The CANVEC data is available her ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub

Read this page first:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec especially the bit about the tiles.

I would suggest you load up a tile in JOSM then hit the download arrow
to bring in the same area from OSM.  I usually resize the JOSM window
to keep the downloaded area roughly the same as the leaded file.

Then use layers inspect the downloaded area.  Back to the CANVEC tile
and select the items you want to import.  Use Edit merge selection,
back to the data layer and hit the upload button.

I suggest selecting one attribute at a time so if there are no roads
there select highway=whatever then merge it up.  JOSM and the upload
process isn't 100% reliable so by keeping the uploads fairly small it
seems to work better.

Cheerio John