[Talk-ca] Sinking islands...

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Sep 23 15:00:15 BST 2010

Bonjour Michael,

I wrote  "natural=land  area features are a duplicate of natural=water inner polygon. It will be removed for the next release.  Point features will still be there."

I understand that natural=land has priority in the rendering. Rendering will then "move" any overlapping features "under" the natural=land feature. It means you are better remove natural=land area before importing.

The standard case for an island is
- an inner component of a relation type=multipolygon : natural=water
- a polygon : natural=land
- a polygon : natural=wood

Remove the polygon natural=land and the polygon natural=wood will render properly  in the hole created by the inner component of the natural=water multipolygon.

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-ca-bounces at openstreetmap.org [mailto:talk-ca-bounces at openstreetmap.org] On Behalf Of G. Michael Carter
Sent: September 23, 2010 09:09
To: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap; talk-us at openstreetmap.org
Subject: [Talk-ca] Sinking islands...

  I was importing data in the Georgian Bay area and I noticed
something.   If an island is natural=land it renders in mapnik as white,
regardless of the outer multipolygon.   if you have natrual=wood or
possibly others, it sinks if it's not role=inner.

This is at least what I've observed so far.   It's rather hard to figure
out when the mapnik tiles get cached and don't refresh in a timely fashion. :-)