[Talk-ca] Ottawa - OpenData - Map Feature Catelogue

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:01:27 BST 2010

I'm not certain what the point would be if the licensing doesn't line up.

What would be nice would be if some one could take one or two of the
data sets, flip it into OSM format and email it to me.  That way I can
merge it with a copy of the cities OSM data on a USB stick and show a
couple of local politicians that it's doable and the advantages of it
rather than having a different interface and app for looking for
drinking fountains or park benches. They seem to respond better to
pretty pictures rather than words.

Gossip wise there was a presentation last night at city hall I found
out about three hours before hand.  It was about Velo-City Global 2010
Conference in Europe attended by Gatineau, Ottawa and NCC to look at
cycle lanes etc and to see if we could emulate them.  Apparently the
city had 384 kms of cycle lanes three years ago when they printed
their map they have since added another 200 kms that don't appear on
their printed mae.  Also it was mentioned that there isn't one map
that shows Gatineau's, Ottawa's and NCC's cycle paths / lanes etc
together.   The audience was mainly cyclists at least one of whom was
after maps for their GARMIN devices.  Perfect fit for OSM and so I
made a small pitch as a comment.  Hopefully we should at least get
some additional contributors.

Cheerio John