[Talk-ca] Sinking islands...

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Sep 23 15:38:03 BST 2010

You are right :-(

Two solutions are possible for the next release...
- Convert natural=land area into point feature - the easy solution to always keep the name available;
- Associate the name to the inner component - If it renders properly.

The second one is much more complex (from my side). Can someone try it and send me the conclusion?

Daniel

________________________________

From: G. Michael Carter [mailto:mikeycarter1974 at gmail.com] On Behalf Of G. Michael Carter
Sent: September 23, 2010 10:14
To: Bégin, Daniel
Cc: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Sinking islands...

I notice for islands with names the name tag is on the natural=land.

On 23/09/10 10:00 AM, Bégin, Daniel wrote:

	Bonjour Michael,

	I wrote  "natural=land  area features are a duplicate of natural=water inner polygon. It will be removed for the next release.  Point features will still be there."

	I understand that natural=land has priority in the rendering. Rendering will then "move" any overlapping features "under" the natural=land feature. It means you are better remove natural=land area before importing.

	The standard case for an island is
	- an inner component of a relation type=multipolygon : natural=water
	- a polygon : natural=land
	- a polygon : natural=wood

	Remove the polygon natural=land and the polygon natural=wood will render properly  in the hole created by the inner component of the natural=water multipolygon.

	Daniel