[Talk-ca] Tagging for streets on a military base

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Apr 15 15:50:37 BST 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Connors, Bernie (SNB)
<Bernie.Connors at snb.ca> wrote:
> I am looking at the street tags for CFB Gagetown in Oromocto, New
> Brunswick.  Currently all of the streets are tagged residential.  Of course
> there are some military personnel that live on the base but the majority of
> the roads I am looking at are not residential:
>

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.8424389362335&lon=-66.4528870582581&zoom=16
>

> I have considered the following tags: service, minor, and tertiary but none
> of them seem appropriate.  Any suggestions?

highway=unclassified seems right.  "unclassified" is a strange beast
in OSM.  it comes from the UK official road classification called
"unclassified", or something.  Seems a little weird, but there we are.
 As a practical matter, I use unclassified for the following.

- a shorthand for "it's kind of like residential but without the houses"
- roads of the public road network that are "least important" but not
residential.  So, minor commercial/light-industrial area roads.
- when the residential / non-residential mix in a mixed use area leans
more towards non-residential.

I don't have local context for the area you mention, so take my
experience with a grain or two of salt. For similar large areas, I
would consider residential in the residential areas. unclassified
elsewhere. tertiary for those roads that are more important within the
area and for entrance / exit roads.  And highway=service; (possibly
also with service=driveway) for those ways that aren't even roads in
the area.  Though leaving the driveways and parking areas for somebody
else to map is fine too.  ;-)  And marking the access restrictions
either at the gates, or for all roads probably makes sense.

Best regards,
Richard