[Talk-ca] Server Slow?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Dec 3 17:49:52 GMT 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Adam Dunn <dunnadam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to work on Great Slave Lake over the past couple
> months, but it's becoming quite frustrating trying to work with the
> OSM server. I'm currently trying to upload a changeset that has 19
> objects to modify. It's a couple node deletions and changing relation
> membership.
>
> Only 19 objects to modify and Josm has been "uploading" for about 15
> minutes now. There's nothing wrong with the rest of my internet
> (youtube etc works just fine).
>
> I've been working on Great Slave Lake on weekends, but many of my edit
> attempts are failing because of server problems like this. Is anybody
> else having a similar experience, or is it just me? When I did BC NRN
> imports it wasn't this bad. Didn't they install new hardware recently?

All OSM services suffer from higher traffic on weekends.  Moslty, we
don't have it as bad as the Europeans because our peak mapping hours
are after theirs slow down a bit.  :-)  And, OSM is always growing and
always improving.  it is a bit of an arms race between the larger
number of mappers and the developers squeezing more performance from
the same equipment.

I have not seen similar problems with small edits / saves, but I have
heard that recent versions of josm have more features in core and
feels less snappy on the desktop.  Perhaps you can check with an older
version for comparison?  Also, if you check on IRC #osm irc.oftc.net
you can see if others are experiencing similar problems or if there is
a known issue.

Yes, new hardware is added regularly.  Old equipment gets replaced.
There is also a fund raising drive on now[1].  It started Thursday.
We're getting a new DB server.

http://donate.openstreetmap.org/server2011

The last fund raiser was in 2009 for the current DB server.  With the
addition of the second DB server, we'll be able to do many additional
good things[2].

Best regards,
Richard

[1] http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2011/12/01/funding-drive/