[Talk-ca] Canvec source tags (was: User r_coastlines)

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Mon Dec 19 21:40:14 GMT 2011

On 19-12-2011 22:20, john whelan wrote:
> But recently I noted that the CANVEC tags are being removed.  Two
> people in the talk-ca list mentioned recently they had done so.
>
> Cheerio John
According to my mailbox the answers were different. Jonathan mentioned
that he used other data sources, so the data wasn't significantly Canvec
anymore. Gordon didn't mention he removed tags, he just offered a
possible reason. As to your question in that thread, and not knowing the
user you were referring to, I was just wondering whether you sent
him/her a PM and asked about the reason (but I didn't bother to post
that to the mailing list). So, did you ask that user directly?

Also Bing has stated that they should be attributed. That is one of the
conditions they provided their imagery to OSM. Of course everyone knows
that the source tags aren't absolute guarantees. It is also not
practical to enforce them. If that would happen, OSM would not develop
as it does right now, so although I would oppose removing source tags
knowingly (when the data is not altered significantly), there are many
shades of grey. It is often hard to draw a boundary, so we have to rely
on the good intentions of the mappers. That makes a project like OSM
both challenging and charming :)

Regards,

Frank