[Talk-ca] Digitizing over an aerial photo

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Feb 1 21:46:09 GMT 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Yves Moisan <yves.moisan at boreal-is.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a trivia for you license-interested/competent folks.  Say I have a
> recent aerial photo coverage of a really nice town that I'd like to use to
> digitize features, is there an issue if the photo is private (city-owned) ?
>  The way I see it is that if I'm digitizing a point/line/polygon and
> assigning it attributes, I'm really photo-interpreting so the data is
> "mine".  Of course the underlying photograph helped, but it's not data per
> se.  Any arguments/counter arguments or real legalese pointers ?

The policy of the OpenStreetMap community is that we hold ourselves to
a very high standard when we respect the works and rights of others.
And so any action that is not clearly and explicitly permitted by a
rights holder, is not permitted as a source for OpenStreetMap
contributions.

As an example, we have permission from Bing / Microsoft to use Bing
imagery for tracing / photo-interpretation.  So we can do that.

We don't have permission from Google to use Google aerial imagery for
the same purpose.  So we don't do that.

Please get permission from the rights holder to use that image for
photo interpretation.

Best regards,
Richard