[Talk-ca] New OpenSkiMaps service, and OpenStreetMap API bandwidth limits

Russell skiinfobc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 07:00:00 GMT 2011

Hi everyone,

I just launched a new service on my website Skimap.org, which allows
people to get OpenStreetMap data rendered in KML format (and other
formats coming soon of course for skiing), and already (after a day!)
using the OSM API I am getting bandwidth exceeded (from my database,
it seems like users have requested about 40 maps spread over the day -
because there weren't any maps yesterday, more need to be generated
right now).. :( I definitely don't have the resources to host my own
server with a planet.osm and then use osmosis to extract, so what is
everyone's suggestion? It seems to me like OSM needs a solid backend
for it to really be usable for most developers (that don't have a
fancy server to keep up with the constantly growing database)

Also is the ODBL final adoption day still April 1st? I looked on the
ODBL coverage website and saw that most of North Vancouver, Surrey,
Port Moody, Abbotsford.... are still totally in the red and most
everything else in the yellow.. Will all this hard work just
disappear?

Thanks for the help!
Russell