[Talk-ca] Winnipeg Transit Stop Sync

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Feb 22 20:07:23 GMT 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Hiebert, Douglas <dhiebert at winnipeg.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m an employee at Winnipeg Transit, and we’re trying to get our data out to
> as many open databases as possible, including OSM. I realize that OSM
> doesn’t have the ability to handle timetable-level transit data like say,
> Google, it does have bus stops that are annotated with route numbers and
> amenity information. So, I was curious whether anybody has any objections or
> advice before I attempt to import our bus stop data (including roughly 5000
> bus stops) into OSM, using a tool like GO_Sync
> (http://code.google.com/p/gtfs-osm-sync/)? Our data includes stop names,
> routes, and the lat/lng of the stop accurate to within a metre.

Hi Doug,

I'm thrilled that Winnipeg transit are publishing their data widely
and openly.  You are setting a great example for other transit
agencies.

The OpenStreetMap community at large is divided on imports in general
and always cautious about them.  Might I suggest the following?

- point us to a link to your data and the license under which your
data is available.
- share with us any information about updates to your data sets.
- allow us some time to discuss the best methods to address this data.
- participate in the discussion if you care to do so, or allow us to
contact you in future.

I'm really pleased that you found us here and have some data to offer.
 I know that we have some contributors in and around  Winnipeg who
will find this particularly interesting.

Best regards,
Richard