[Talk-ca] Firing Range Mistagged as Cemetery?

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Feb 23 13:06:51 GMT 2011

Bonjour Adam,

This time I'm not behind this range-cemetery conversion !-)

The source dataset I used to create the Canvec.osm product (Canvec.gml) also describes the area as a cemetery.

I'll forward your finding to the appropriate people.
Thank you

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Dunn [mailto:dunnadam at gmail.com]
Sent: February 22, 2011 21:59
To: talk-ca; Bégin, Daniel
Subject: Firing Range Mistagged as Cemetery?

A couple years ago, before the CFB closed down, there was a firing range for the military. A high school has since been built there, but you can see [1] for the approximate position (the range still appears in Yahoo and Bing). I was doing some Canvec 7 import for my area, and noticed that this area was marked as a cemetery. I think that Canvec 7 might have an issue with mistagging military=range or sport=shooting as landuse=cemetery (in a similar way to the already identified comical school->prison mistag). Unfortunately I don't know of any other ranges where I can test this theory. Might be something to look into. Or maybe it really was a cemetery before the military took over?

Adam

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/281579645