[Talk-ca] How should a noob proceed?

Samuel Longiaru longiaru at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 30 19:01:29 GMT 2011

Regarding your specific import Sam, could you link to it for us?  I
see the wooded areas on the border, but that sounds a little further
than away from Kamloops than you.  Share!  ;-)

Were these full size NTS tiles or sub tiles?  Are they of a
"manageable" size for stitching.  How long did it take?  Should we
make a group effort of stitching before moving on the the next import?

Many open questions.  :-)

Best regards,
Richard

OK... well if you think that my questions are relevant here... then sure...
maybe a wider audience is best anyway.  Perhaps I'm falling into the noobie trap
of assuming that I'm the only one that doesn't know this stuff.

I've just sent the message (copied below) to Steve Singer who was kind enough yesterday to get back with some
pretty specific advice. It's funny in that my questions to him were pretty much right
along what you are posing, Richard.

One file was about 14,500 'objects' and the other 12,500.  After merging the CanVec layer
and the (almost non-existent) OSM data layer, JOSM choked on the first file upload and got into a
Retry loop.  I figured that 14,000+ points was too big a request and so found the Advanced tab and asked for an upload
in 2000 object chunks.  That worked. I'm sure that this approach of uploading a whole CanVec file will
not be practical once the merges become more complicated and I will sure resort to working on and
uploading only small sections of a sheet at a time.  But for this area, where there is very little to
edit, the full file approach works.

I'm just going to work on these two files for the time being, cleaning them up as I import, and learning the
procedure better.  Also, I just have to get better with JOSM I see.  Pretty steep learning curve I've found.

OK... crux of my message to Steve is below... it includes a link to the area

Thanks in advance.  Sam

--------------------

Steve...

Last night I imported two adjacent CanVec files... 92I07.0.0 and
92I07.0.1.  The process was pretty easy as the only overlap with
existing OSM data was one unpaved road, which I deleted from the CanVec
layer before merging.  I went back this morning to review the imports
and have a few questions.  If you don't mind, could you please take a
look at http://osm.org/go/WJ1AWUau and give me your opinion.  I think
this small area along the boundary of the two imports shows most of the
issues.

1) At first, I thought I should get rid of the boundary between the
north and south sheets, but then realized that doing so for each import
would eventually lead to massive relations of wooded area.  So would you
agree that I should leave the bounding ways alone, only working on
merging or joining cross-boundary objects such as roads, railroads,
etc., or should I treat the bounding ways somehow ?

2) I am surprised in that the registry between the different objects in
the CanVec data is not better than it is... at least in this area.  For
the most part, the boundary of the wood (whether outer or inner) seems
to be shifted westward in relation to the lake outlines which are at
least fairly consistent with the Bing imagery.  This internal shift
within the CanVec data seems to triggering a lot of errors...
overlapping areas, crossing ways, etc.   The shift seems to line up
across both sheets.  Is this expected, and if so, should I just correct
errors as usual, using the Bing imagery as a guide?  Or is this error
something that happened when converting the data to OSM format?

3) And this is a real noob question... in JOSM some nodes along a single
isolated ways such as lake shores are marked with small boxes and some
with +.  Can't seem to find any difference or rhyme or reason.  What is
the significance of those?