[Talk-ca] Notes on a Saskatchewan import

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Mar 1 15:40:49 GMT 2011

To All,

   I finally had got around to doing my first OSM data import session.
I had some spare time and was frustrated with the lack of OSM progress
in Saskatchewan, so I imported a Canvec sub tile for Melfort Sask
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.8086&lon=-104.6061&zoom=12&layers=O).

     It was surprisingly easy, thanks to the great work of Daniel Bégin
in supplying .osm formatted Canvec data, and Steve Singer's blog on
importing Canvec
(http://scanningpages.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/openstreetmap-canvec-importing/).

   I used Josm to import the geometry and Potlatch to add the street
names (the street naming was tedious, but somehow felt rewarding).

   For others planning to do some OSM work in Saskatchewan, here's a
summary of free and license-friendly sources of street GIS data:

Canvec (.osm format)
     ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub
     - old geometry
     - no street names
     - no address ranges

GeoSask Road Network

ftp://portaldata:freedata@ftp.isc.ca/PackagedData/Sask_Highways/SURN09.zip
     - geometry same as Canvec (old)
     - complete street names, but poor capitalization and spelling:
"MACLOED AVENUE"
     - no address ranges

Geobase Road Network
     http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/search.do?produit=nrn&language=en
     - new geometry
     - complete street names, poor capitalization and spelling: "Macloed
Avenue"
     - no address ranges

StatsCan

http://geodepot.statcan.gc.ca/2006/040120011618150421032019/1814062006_05-eng.jsp
     - newer geometry but positional accuracy poor
     - incomplete street names (unless you combine NAME and TYPE
attributes) "MacLeod AVE"
     - has address ranges

--
Best Regards,