[Talk-ca] Mapping cut blocks in "wooded" areas

Samuel Longiaru longiaru at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 5 02:45:12 GMT 2011

Hi Everybody,

I've been importing CanVec mostly south of Kamloops for the past several
weeks and am going to take some time now to go back and bring stuff up
to date.  One question I have though is in regards to how to treat cut
blocks in the wooded areas.

I see according to the map features wiki, that the CanVec imported tag
of natural=wood is technically not correct, at least for here, as wood
is to be reserved only for completely reserved/unmanaged areas.  I guess
most of what I have should really be mapped as landuse=forest but I have
not made the change because what is under timber lease and what is not
would be difficult to determine.  In one sense it's all managed to some
degree or other.  But my point is rather what should be done with the
cut blocks, which in some areas constitute up to 50% or more of the
forested area.  http://osm.org/go/WJ1cj_R is a typical area.  It seems
improper to keep them as wooded when they are clearly not, and yet most
are replanted and will be wooded again someday... or at least that's
what they keep telling us.

I started mapping them as it truly gives a more accurate representation
of the current state of affairs on the ground... but thought I'd better
get some guidance before proceeding too far.

Thanks,

Sam L.
Kamloops