[Talk-ca] Canvec vs. GPS

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 06:53:17 GMT 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Being cynical I'd tend to favour CANVEC they tend to have spent more money
> on their GPS units.

Based on experience I'd go the exact opposite way as Canvec data can
be extremely old and inaccurate.

Today I removed a Canvec way describing the Blackmud Creek from the
database. Dan Charrois had imported the waterway from Canvec, and the
imported way overlapped the existing way. Remnants of that can be seen
here for a short while.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.4262&lon=-113.4888&zoom=14&layers=M

Both renditions can be seen where the creek crosses Ellerslie Road.
Hiigher zoom levels have already been rendered.

Canvec buildings are horrendous:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.42826&lon=-113.49479&zoom=17&layers=M
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.4145&lon=-113.54344&zoom=17&layers=M
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.43157&lon=-113.54426&zoom=17&layers=M

Feet on the ground are the best judge of accuracy.

James
VE6SRV