[Talk-ca] Problem with Nominatim in Fredericton, NB, Canada

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Wed May 4 19:31:49 BST 2011

Connors, Bernie (SNB) wrote on 2011-05-04  10:58:07

> I have noticed that many of my Nominatim search results for features in Fredericton, NB, Canada include “Washington”.  For example, searching for “Fredericton, NB” at openstreetmap.org gives me the results “City Fredericton, Washington, New Brunswick, Canada, North America”.  The problem with these results is that “Washington” is not a county of New Brunswick.  I am not aware of any administrative areas in NB named “Washington”.

A good tool to use for investigation on such relationships is MapquestApi Nominatim Search.
see http://open.mapquestapi.com/nominatim/v1/search.php
But Searching for Frederiction, NB, I could not find a satisfactory answer. Maybe somebody will interpret this information differently.

Clicking on Details hypelink for Fredericton in the result list shows that Fredericton is related to
Washington (Type: place:county, node 316961874, 15, , Point, 1.19258180834087 GOTO)
The GOTO hyperlink for Washington http://open.mapquestapi.com/nominatim/v1/details.php?place_id=1630953
list pertinent informations related to Washington county.

I suspect that the  problem would come from a boundary:administrative relation that covers the area of Saint John and Fredericton. But I cannot fin such a relationship tha defines the Washington county.

To this regard, are dont understand why New Brunswick cities are listed, In the localities for which Washington county is Parent, at least the following cities  of NB are listed

City
Fredericton (Point, ~82.3 miles, node 204462923, GOTO)
Saint John (Point, ~71.8 miles, node 129999186, GOTO)

Searching for boundary:administrative relation, I compare Frederiction to Gonaives, Haiti where I know that such boundary relationship exist.
The only significant difference I see are the following tags in NB relation :
border_type = provincial
ref = NB

In Fredericton NB, there is a boundary:administrative, relation for the province. Washington Place is listed before Mention of New Brunswick boundary relation. But I cannot see whats make Washington place to be listed there.
Fredericton (Type: place:city, node 204462923, 15, , Polygon, 0 GOTO)
Washington (Type: place:county, node 316961874, 15, , Point, 1.19258180834087 GOTO)
New Brunswick (Type: boundary:administrative, relation 68942, 4, , Point, 0.699330488610423 GOTO)
 tags in the relation
admin_level = 4
border_type = provincial
boundary = administrative
name = New Brunswick

 ref = NB
 type = boundary

In Gonaives, the boundary:administrative relation for Arrondissement is listed and working properly
Les Gonaïves (Type: place:city, node 293921154, 8, , Polygon, 0 GOTO)
Arrondissement Gonaïves (Type: boundary:administrative, relation 392359, 5, , Polygon, 0.0975953328366315 GOTO)
 tags in the relation
admin_level = 5
boundary = administrative
name = Arrondissement Gonaïves