[Talk-ca] OSM slower than usual?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri May 6 18:59:38 BST 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Connors, Bernie (SNB)
<Bernie.Connors at snb.ca> wrote:
> The OSM maps and website seem to be loading slower today and updates to the
> map appear to be taking longer to be rendered into tiles.  Anybody else
> notice this?

Tile updates have been slowed by abusive applications that make
unreasonable demands on our tile servers.  This has been getting worse
since the beginning of 2011 as other maps clamp down on users of their
services.  Mappers are suffering for it.  The sysadmins have been
responding, we are adding hardware resources as well.

If you see an application that uses OSM tiles; direct them to the tile
usage policy.  Also, if you review an application, consider if they
are harming OSM when you write you review.  Good apps use their own
tile infrastructure and don't abuse ours.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy