[Talk-ca] Geobase vs Canvec

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Wed May 25 02:18:07 BST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Nakor Osm <nakor.osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was looking at Canvec data vs Geobase data around Pointe-à-la-Croix, QC
> and Campbellton, NB. Geobase is already there but is missing street names.
> Canvec has street names but all ways are marked surface=unpaved and lanes=-1
> which I guess is false. There are also some inconsistency in highway
> "levels". Which one is more to be trusted?

Put your boots on the ground. Gather local data and verify for
yourself. That's what this OSM project is all about. People getting
out there and gathering data that is available for everyone to use.
CanVec and GeoBase are shortcuts that we have permission to use, but
we should still do our due diligence and ensure the information that
we are importing is accurate by verifying the information with real
world boots on the ground verification.

James
VE6SRV