[Talk-ca] Motorways tagging at ferry terminals/boarders

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Oct 20 06:09:57 BST 2011

> From: Richard Weait [mailto:richard at weait.com]
> Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Motorways tagging at ferry terminals/boarders
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Matthew Buchanan
> <matthew.ian.buchanan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I prefer the Swartz Bay scheme because it is more reflective of the
> > reality on the ground.
>
> The "what"?  Could you provide a link please?  :-)

The two are ferry terminals mapped differently right now.

Basically, with the way Swartz Bay is mapped, the highway=motorway stops
when it is no longer physically a motorway. This results in a map that is
better for local navigation and on foot, but one that may have issues with
long distance navigation. I am not sure if it does or not.

The most obvious question to me is, what do we do to the route relations
that include the ferry terminals? For example, the Trans-Canada Highway
includes Horseshoe Bay and Departure Bay and it is not clear which road, if
any, should be in the relation if they were mapped like Swartz Bay.

The 17 include Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay. What is currently done is the
route does not include the service roads leading to the ferry dock point,
but does include the ferry route. It also has FIXME=fix ferry

For any non-locals, this is a list of the major BC ferry terminals and the
relevant route relations:

Duke Point (Near Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.16101&lon=-123.88407&zoom=15

Departure Bay (Near Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.19126&lon=-123.95188&zoom=17

Swartz Bay (Near Sidney, on Vancouver Island):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.68638&lon=-123.40825&zoom=16

Tsawwassen (Near Ladner, on the mainland):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.0081&lon=-123.12499&zoom=16

Horseshoe Bay (Near West Vancouver, on the mainland):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.37437&lon=-123.27077&zoom=17

Highway 17 (Delta to Victoria):

Highway 1 (Trans-Canada):

BC Super-relation: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/417784