[Talk-ca] Slow OSM tiles

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Sep 2 15:58:51 BST 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Connors, Bernie (SNB)
<Bernie.Connors at snb.ca> wrote:
> I am not editing.  I am just browsing the map to see if my recent edits have been rendered.

You might have just asked for tiles when the server was particularly
busy.  That happens often.

There was a small change yesterday to how tiles are served.  You can
see the result at around 1800h yesterday.

http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/yevaud.openstreetmap/mod_tile_response.html

Normal editing should be unaffected and this greatly reduces the
resource drain by bulk tile downloaders.  Those who make the greatest
demands on the tile server have their rate reduced for a period of
time.