[Talk-ca] need help with Shp-to-osm.jar

Jean Robertson jeanrob98 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 19:48:09 BST 2011

Hello,

I am struggling with shp-to-osm.jar

The instructions at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shp-to-osm.jar
are not complete enough for me.

I am pretty sure this is some kind of Java question. Unfortunately, I have
little java experience.

I have a debian lenny machine.

I have downloaded a tar.gz file from https://github.com/iandees/shp-to-
osm/tree/master/src/main/java/com

I have a shapefile with a shp extension and a database file with a dbf
extension.

I have found what I am looking for in the dbf file.

I have created a rules.txt file.

My java version is thus:

java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.7) (6b18-1.8.7-2~squeeze1)

java -cp shp-to-osm-0.8.1-with-dependencies.jar com.yellowbkpk.geo.shp.Main --
shapefile /home/jean/qs/Sections\ de\ vote/section_vote.shp --rulesfile
rules.txt --osmfile output.osm

I get the following result.

com/yellowbkpk/geo/shp/Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.yellowbkpk.geo.shp.Main
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:334)
Could not find the main class: com.yellowbkpk.geo.shp.Main. Program will exit.

How do I get java to look under src/main/java/ to find what I think it is
looking for? (namely, com/yellowbkpk/geo/shp/Main...

Any tips would be appreciated.

Jean