[Talk-ca] Données libres Gouvernement du Québec

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Aug 23 16:19:23 BST 2012

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> English Version
>
> In Québec, as in other provinces, the government and some municipalities are
> beginning to respond to requests from the community to publish their data
> with an Open Data license. And the same problem arises as elsewhere: added
> licensing restrictions make the license incompatible with an Open Data
> license including ODbl. Due to these restrictions, we cannot currently
> import this data into OSM.

This problem effects more than OpenStreetMap.  It effects ANY user who
wishes to use the government Open Data. It is exponentially worse if
the user wishes to combine data sets from disparate sources (while
remaining compliant with the disparate licenses).

Governments MUST publish their open data under the ODC-PDDL. [1]
ODC-PDDL is drafted and maintained by experts in international data
law, a new and changing field of law.  It is INSANE that each
municipality would even consider spending citizen resources to become
expert enough in this field of law to write an effective license when
such a license is already drafted and designed for portability.

Any municipality who believes that their data is so precious that it
deserves a special license severely over-rates the importance of their
municipality in the world.  The very best thing a municipality can do
for their data is to license it ODC-PDDL and publish it, so that even
if everything else about their data is sub-optimal, citizens have
permission to improve it.

The broken Vancouver license held the Canadian Open Data community
back for at least two years and the recovery is no where near
complete.  Do not allow Québec to fall into the same trap.

[1]  http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/1-0/