[Talk-ca] City of Waterloo Open Data codefest Saturday

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Dec 1 00:49:51 GMT 2012

I only found their reference to the code fest in March[1], do they have
their license published for review?

I know that I keep beating this drum, but I really wish that governments
would stop trying to write their own open data licenses (even by modifying
relatively benign licenses) and JUST USE A VETTED LICENSE WRITTEN AND
MAINTAINED BY PROFESSIONALS[2]. The only thing that governments do, by
writing their own licenses, is punish those who care enough about open data
licenses to actually read them and attempt to use them responsibly.

[1] http://www.waterloo.ca/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=3205
[2] http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/