[Talk-ca] Re : Duplicated ways

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:05:57 GMT 2012

2012/2/26 infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr <infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr>:

> Je m'oppose évidemment à ce que tu effaces ces informations. Ceci aurait
> pour effet de faire disparaitre complètement le sentier de randonnée des
> cartes.

A "virtual" way that is only in place beside the actual way in order
to have a hiking trail appear on a specific map rendering platform
would be what is known as "tagging for the renderer", which is frowned
upon. Showing just one way which depicts the actual location of the
way and tagging it appropriately is the correct action.

While the information in this linked image from Google Streetview
http://g.co/maps/33tg4 is not to be used when mapping, I'm just using
this link as a visual indicator to show that there does not appear to
be two distinct ways where the OSM map is showing that there are...

Accurate information in that database is what should drive the actions
of the mapper, not modified mapping techniques to try and make certain
features appear on a specific map rendering solution.

There is no mention of the map rendering engine/style that would
"effectively make the trail disappear" from the map. Perhaps the use
of a different map rendering engine/style sheet may alleviate some
concerns.

Have a look at how Freemap takes care of rendering multiple layers of
types of ways...

http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/about.html

Remember that we are editing the OSM database, not just a single
depiction of the data as displayed when processed by a single map
rendering engine with a specific style sheet.

--
James
VE6SRV