[Talk-ca] Tagging Rail POIs - Help please

Harald Kliems harald.kliems at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 11 15:46:59 GMT 2012

Hi Andrew.

> From: Andrew Allison [andrew.allison at gmail.com]
> FYI, I work for a railway for what it's worth. Pretty much every 10
> miles or so is a named location. I wouldn't tag it as a station but a
> POI seems appropriate to me as a railroader :-) Rail fans would also use
> the POI as reference points for photography and video.

Of course, I wasn't implying that those POIs should not be in OSM! All I'm saying is that they shouldn't be tagged as stations. One example where I removed a station tag was in this area

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.544969&lon=-73.230477&zoom=18#

Someone had put a rail=station;name=AMT Rail Yard on the tracks of the main line. Since in the wiki I couldn't find an appropriate tag and from the aerial couldn't determine where to correctly delimit a named landuse area, I removed the station tag from the main line and put a node with only name=AMT rail yard in the vicinity.

>        Trains communicating with the dispatcher use these locations to
> identify their location.
Is there an agreed upon way to tag those locations?

Best,
 Harald.