[Talk-ca] StatCan Boundaries

Gordon Dewis gordon at pinetree.org
Tue Jan 17 16:59:55 GMT 2012

Disclaimer: I am speaking for myself and not for my employer. Especially
not for my employer.

I just had a look at the 2011 Census boundary file reference guide (
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/92-160-g/92-160-g2011001-eng.pdf) and it
appears that there's a new license. IANAL, but it looks like a source
statement would have to be displayed whenever a census boundary or
derivative is used.

But going back to the original question of using Statistics Canada data for
city boundaries, I'm not sure this is the best idea. Census boundary files
are based on Census geographies. Depending on the geography, you could have
boundaries that coincide with municipal boundaries in some cases, but not
in others. For example, census metropolitan areas (CMAs) do not necessarily
respect municipal boundaries. The CMA Toronto, for example, do not really
resemble the City of Toronto's boundaries. But if you use something like a
CSD (census subdivision) then you have boundaries that more closely match
municipal boundaries, at least for larger cities.

I haven't had a chance to talk to the licensing people, yet.

  --G