[Talk-ca] Balloon Mapping

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 09:58:57 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Harald Kliems
>> <harald.kliems at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>>> It's a neat project. Does anybody know what the rules in regulations about this are in Canada? Same as in the US?
>>
>> Canadian regulations are close to US regs, but not quite the same.
>>
>> We regularly fly unmanned non-tethered balloons to 30+ kms with no
>> real issues. We contact ATC and get a NOTAM issued.
>>
>> These balloons are very small and tethered, usually at low altitudes.
>> There are limits on the strength of the tether line, and you'll need
>> to be aware of the maximum altitudes near airports, etc.
>
> In other words as long as you don't do this stuff near an airport
> you're fine. How far away do you have to be from an airport to be free
> of height restrictions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Colin
> VE3ZAA

Depends entirely on the airport. Basically, airspace is divided up
into classes, some of which are restricted, and some aren't. I also
suspect that balloons in general have their own restrictions. I would
contact the local flying school, as they would have people that are
fairly knowledgeable about the local situation and can explain it in
laypeople's terms.

Corey