[Talk-ca] Edmonton OSM gathering

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Jul 5 14:16:10 BST 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone in the Edmonton area interested in getting together to share ideas?

Dear James,

I wish you all the best for your Edmonton OSM gathering.  I think that
it is wonderful that you are doing this.  I've had a great time at the
OSM local gatherings that I've attended and I'm sure Edmontonians (?)
will as well.

May I suggest that you "just do it", and go ahead and set it up and
that you reach out through other channels for attendees?

If you set up the event on an event-service, like upcoming.com or
meetup.com, your event will be seen by _people who are looking for
events to attend_.  That's awesome, right?  You could help new users
learn about OSM and make their first edits.

The drawback to advertising your event _only_ on this list, is that
not all Canadian mappers are on this list.  For example, hundreds of
people edit in Toronto each year.  Only a few of them are on this
list.  :-(  On the other hand, many people who are not on this list
attend the Toronto events.  :-)  By the way, the next Toronto event is
Monday 07 July 2012.

http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Toronto/events/64341292/

I encourage mappers in other places to host local events as well.
It's fun and a great way to learn from other mappers.

Best regards,
Richard