[Talk-ca] opendata datasets

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jul 31 14:28:40 BST 2012

2012/7/31 Bruno Remy <bremy.qc.ca at gmail.com>:
> Thanks Richard for your considerations.
>
> While reading your comments, I'm carried to believe that :
> wheras Canadian municipalities produce "scrap data" versus europenan ones

I don't believe this.

> Canadian citizen are less confident in theyr gouvernement's IT stuff than
> European does.

I don't believe this either.

OSM in Europe has grown more effectively than in North America,
because there are more _OSM contributors_ in Europe.  Not because
there is more Open Data in Europe.  Much less data has been imported
in Europe than in North America.

> Anyway .... I submit you two questions:
>
> 1- Does this Quebec city Opendata Licence compatible with OSM? (Y/N) And
> Why?

I haven't looked at it.

> http://donnees.ville.quebec.qc.ca/licence.aspx
> 2- What are the steps to import thoses data (if permitted, of course)?

Follow the import guidelines linked in the previous message.

But!  It is much better to intorduce new mappers to OpenStreetMap,
than it is to import some random dataset in a place that will not be
maintained over time.