[Talk-ca] Demande de vérification, question concernant name=

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 03:19:52 GMT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Daniel Begin <jfd553 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I always tag names as name='name used locally'. If a French/English version
> is used (I mean really used), Then I use name='name used locally',
> name:fr='French name', name:en='English name.

This would seem to make the most sense... In Alberta there are a
number of francophone communities scattered about. The Town of
Beaumont just south of Edmonton is an example.

There's a lot of signage in the town with French language. Most
streets and avenues are numbered, but the named roadways are signed
both ways... ie. Promenade Riechert Dr. I would think that putting
name=Promenade Riechert would be fine, and then have both the english
and french explicit variations in the database.

I may be naive, but the fact that Canada is a bilingual country is a
point of pride for me, and it is something that should be embraced. I
feel handicapped by the fact that I am not multi-lingual. I would love
to be able to communicate in more than one language.

OSM should reflect what is seen on the ground, and have the option to
be able to translate if need be.

When I go to Mexico, I don't complain that the signs aren't in
English, or that the locals don't speak English, but rather I feel
inadequate in that I can't communicate properly myself in the native
language. However, it sure would be nice to be able to pull up an OSM
map and have the option to be able to change all the street names from
Spanish to English.

--
James
VE6SRV