[Talk-ca] Internal CanVec conflicts

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 01:24:16 GMT 2012

I've already said what I have to say about the issue at hand in
earlier discussion. A more lighthearted remark: whenever I feel
depressed about some Canvec-related issue I load up JOSM, pick a
random location in the US, and spend half an hour fixing TIGER data.
It's a very effective therapeutic...

 Harald, who's currently spending a lot of time with this
http://lima.schaaltreinen.nl/remap/

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> CanVec data comes from multiple sources and this can lead to internal
> inconsistencies. A common case is a new development where there used to be
> trees. The tree data in CanVec might be older and show an area as forested
> while there is newer road data indicating that the area has been developed.
> An example of this type is
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.695&lon=-73.905&zoom=17 although I have
> seen many other cases of it.
>
> Another common case is the trees in water problem frequently found in BC. A
> typical example is
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=58.648&lon=-123.911&zoom=17 where there is
> a conflict between the water data and the forest data. You need to view the
> data as it doesn't show up on the rendering.
>
> Is it the communities view that it is okay to import CanVec without
> reconciling the internal differences between the layers?
>
> My view is that importing data without resolving conflicts of this type
> where it conflicts with either existing data or internally is not an
> acceptable import and indicates the importer did not sufficiently review
> what they were uploading.

Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x199DC50F