[Talk-ca] BC Resource Roads

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Nov 12 22:29:26 GMT 2012

I was importing some CanVec in northern BC and came across a resource road
on bing, which I also added, but I realized I wasn't positive on the best
tagging.

A typical example is
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=59.395&lon=-122.074&zoom=16

These roads exist for forestry and oil and gas use. In this particular
region they're primarily built for accessing oil and gas leases and have
trucks running to/from the wells. They aren't generally used for through
traffic.

They are almost always unpaved but maintained to some minimum standard.

There seem to be to be three obvious tagging choices (aside from
highway=road which is never wrong)

highway=track
tracktype=grade1

highway=service
surface=unpaved

highway=unclassified
surface=unpaved

I am in favour of the first (track with tracktype) but would like to get
some thoughts from others.

As an aside, these roads are not in Google, CanVec or any other sources I
quickly checked.