[Talk-ca] New Subdivisions

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Nov 13 01:50:46 GMT 2012

There's a few ways of going about doing this. Because you have aerial
imagery (2011 provincial imagery) for the area it makes it easier. Generally
the first step is to get the roads in.

You could trace them from the imagery or in this case they are also in
CanVec. If it was a really new subdivision you'd have to use a GPS. It looks
like there might be some even newer construction not in CanVec or the
imagery.

Just for reference, the CanVec data is 082E14.0.2.

The Wiki has more docs on CanVec, but basically in this case you'd only want
to bring through the road data. The other data is rather useless. You can do
this with JOSM or P2.

Once the roads are in I'd suggest going to the subdivision and walking the
roads, checking names and noting POIs. Getting the location of any retail
locations is also useful.