[Talk-ca] Appropriate level of detail and map rendering

Tom Taylor tom.taylor.stds at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:22:55 GMT 2012

As part of the improvements I've been adding to our local neighbourhood,
I added a missing strip mall. This is at the intersection of Kilborn and
Virginia in Ottawa. I suppose I could provide coordinates if needed.

I added in the almost dozen shops and offices, each as a stand-alone
node with appropriate attributes (amenity/shop/office, plus name, plus
addr:housenumber). Is this in the spirit of the OpenStreetMap exercise
or have I gone too far?

As for rendering, it looks like priority has been given to some
categories over others. The map now shows the ATM and bank, a cafe, and
a hairdresser's, but not the other stuff. The name of the cafe is in
bold and masks the symbol of the public telephone outside it. The
overall name "Kilborn Shopping Centre" no longer shows since I added the
detail.

There seems to be similar selectivity at a synagogue just up Virginia. A
Waldorf school operates there. I added it as a standalone node inside
the building. Now the name of the school shows, but not the name of the
Jewish congregation. The Star of David does appear on the structure.

Tom Taylor