[Talk-ca] Suivi OSM / OSM Monitoring

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 00:22:27 GMT 2012

2012/10/29 Pierre Béland <infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr>:

> Since OSM is a collaborative project, experienced contributors who monitor
> changes to OSM need monitoring tools. There are many like KeepRight,
> Inspector or http://layers.openstreetmap.fr/.

> Contributors may follow edits such as hiking trails or bike lanes, or items
> such as main roads and administrative boundaries, wich are essential to
> tools such as Nominatim or Road travel.

This piqued my interest, especially the layers.openstreetmap.fr link.

Political, geopolitical, territorial, and administrative boundaries
have always been of interest to me in the OSM project. Many years ago
I attempted to trace out the boundary of the county in which I live. I
was at the time trying to figure out how to create a polygon that
shared boundaries with neighboring areas, or road centerlines, etc...
I had one heck of a time trying to get it in there, but I think I
finally succeeded. But then people would come along and wipe out a
segment or two and the county outline was gone. I have given up
chasing after trying to fix the boundary.

Here's part of it that still exists since it is in a rural area where
no one pokes and prods...

I see that Canada is pretty good at the admin2 (Country) level, and
the admin4 level (Regions) except for a few islands in the Hudson and
James Bay areas. It looks like BC has had the admin6 (Departments)
level imported, but the rest of Canada is blank except for a small
section in north central Manitoba. Is this information available in
the freely available datasets out there? I'd like to get the counties,
municipal districts, improvement districts, special areas, specialized
municipalities, and cities of Alberta imported, I just need to figure
out where to find them.

There are also election boundary layers in OSM. There are a number of
them available. Is there a list of which would be Federal, Provincial,
and Municipal layers? What about boundaries for other things? How
would they get tagged? Of interest to me is the Environment Canada
weather alerting boundaries. It would be nice to be able to include
those boundaries in the OSM dataset. Can you create custom admin
levels?

--
James
VE6SRV