[Talk-ca] Routing tool for openstreetmap.ca?

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 01:17:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Samuel Longiaru <longiaru at shaw.ca> wrote:

> It seems to me that the OSRM routing could benefit greatly by a 0.6 penalty for
> unpaved roads as had been suggested a few time before, but they don't seem to
> want to go that way.

Why incur a penalty just because the roadway is unpaved? A better
solution would be to have the ability to request paved roads only when
routing. That way the user could decide whether an unpaved roadway
should be selected or not. I suppose the best solution would be to
allow the user to select whether unpaved roads can be used for
routing, and also allow the user to select the "penalty" to apply for
unpaved.

I fight with my GPS all the time. I tell it to never use unpaved
roads, but it will put me onto them quite often. Then on the other
hand it can try and send me on long detours some times when I know I
want to take that 2 mile shortcut on gravel to save 40 miles on
pavement.

It's pretty tough to teach a computer to be as wishy-washy as a human!

--
James
VE6SRV