[Talk-ca] Routing tool for openstreetmap.ca?

simon at mungewell.org simon at mungewell.org
Tue Apr 23 18:12:18 UTC 2013

>> So is there a way to 'teach' that better routes?
>>
>> Blairmore to Calgary was routed through Fort McLeod (257km)... when the
>> faster/shorted route is via Highway 22 and 533 across to Nanton (217km).
>>
>> It might say something about my driving, but that would take a little
>> over
>> 2hrs rather than suggested 3hr4. Yes, I average more that 70km/hr...
>>

> I'm not familiar with either route, or with your driving style.  :-)

As you suggested there may be an issue with the 'default speed' on these
ways, but I don't think it is sensible to tag every segment with a speed
limit when it is 'generic'. Is there a way to inspect how the router
'sees' the roads?

The route follows paved rural primary roads (100km/hr and 110km/hr speed
limits) and thus the average speed of 70km/hr seems way off.... traffic
flow is more like 120km/hr.

Simon