[Talk-ca] National Railway Network - Réseau ferroviaire national

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Aug 13 19:07:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Buchanan
<matthew.ian.buchanan at gmail.com> wrote:
> GeoBase now has railway data for most provinces. BC, Alberta, and
> Quebec will be released this fall.
>
> http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/nrwn/index.html
> http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/fr/data/nrwn/index.html
>
> I uploaded a small portion near Regina as a test. (the spurs only)
> http://osm.org/go/WjfQlb2zh-?m=
>
> There are a lot of extra attributes, only some of which will be
> useful. I plan to write a python script to translate some of the codes
> into an OSM standard, unless  someone has a better idea of how to do
> it.

Hi Matthew,

It's great to have new datasets available for our inspection.  I'm not
clear from your email if you uploaded the small portion in the manner
of an import, or if you used all of the resources available including
the new data set to essentially map the data.  Just in case, I'll put
this link here,

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import

and remind everybody that no dataset, no matter how well curated or
well intended, can be imported into OpenStreetMap without very careful
planning and consultation in advance.